November blog post

Volunteer hours

November: 0 hours

Fall Cumulative: 42 hours


November flew by faster than I thought, and brings the surreal realization of the semester coming to a close. We started off the month finishing up the cardiac module and subsequently moving into the renal/pulmonology section. During the second week of the cardiac module, we had the opportunity to be a part of a simulation exercise that put what we had been learning into application. Splitting into two larger groups, we worked as a team to diagnose and treat a fictional patient experiencing a series of cardiac events. Throughout treating the "patient" we were able to interact and practice bedside skills, which I found to be a helpful and immersive experience. The following renal/pulmonology module brought with it a new set of information and challenges. I have noticed the topics building on each other, which provides help in a more through understanding of the concepts and their interconnectedness. Taking the exam on the frontside of Thanksgiving break gave me the opportunity to has a stress reduced break, and was a  much needed refresher after a challenging semester. 

Before we left for break, those that were available from the class took some time to decorate and write holiday cards for a local organization. We used a fun method of paper rolling with varied color paper strips to create unique designs on the front of the cards, and played holiday music to really get in the spirit. Hopefully we will get the opportunity to deliver the cards we made to those in need in the coming week. 

Finding some time to socialize and explore New Orleans was a big goal of mine when moving down as I wanted to lean into this transition and move. Practicing the work/life balance concept can be easy to talk about in theory, but is often harder to apply in the moment. To cope with some of the stress, I have been skating an increasing amount. The night before the CV exam, I was out skating a bit before my final review session of the night. About ten minutes in, a young guy on a bike approached me and after getting to talk to him a bit, I learned he was a local photographer who had been stood up by a customer that evening. He ended up being a skater as well and asked if he could get some pictures since he was already out. Initially I was apprehensive since I needed to do some more reviewing, but he convinced me into a couple shots, which I am glad he did. We went on to talk, skate, and shoot for almost another hour, during which I learned about everything from photography techniques to local culture. One of those topics being a lowrider meet put on by a local rapper and held in the same parking lot I was skating in; an event we both plan on attending. When we had finished taking pictures I returned back to studying that night with a more refreshed and clear headspace, and was appreciative for such an opportunity to connect with a random stranger. Leaning into this situation was outside my usual comfort zone, which is where I find there to be great opportunities for growth. It was an important reminder of my goal to approach opportunities with a more open-minded perspective and foster more connections while I am here. With this in mind, I tired to continue the mentality throughout the rest of the month, and spent more of my free time with purpose. The BMSSA social hour at the local Bulldog beer garden was a fun event that helped encourage that mentality, and I enjoyed the opportunity to meet others from different programs. Similar events, such as trivia night with classmates, have also been integral in establishing that balance. With only two weeks left in the semester, I look forward to attending these events and appreciating the time I get to spend build and foster these connections with new friends. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Blog

Introduction, About Me

January Blog