January Blog

Fall Volunteer Hours: 42 

Spring Volunteer Hours: 0

After the much needed break over the holidays, I returned to New Orleans excited for the spring semester. We have a different set of classes which plan to cover some interesting topics. This semester seems to dive more into specific systems compared to last semester. The most recent module was the endocrine module, during which we dove into the topics of diabetes and thyroid dysfunction. I found learning about the very prominent disease of diabetes very rewarding, and coincidentally found it coming up in my conversations outside the classroom as well.

Due to COVID resurgence, our classes were unfortunately moved online for all of January. With many of our new classes being more discussion oriented, creating that same environment over zoom has been challenging. To my dismay, the ball for the graduate students that was planned for the end of the month was canceled. I was looking forward to a New Orleans ball experience, so was pretty disheartened to hear it had been totally canceled. Thankfully, the city never disappoints, and I found an opportunity to watch some exotic animal races at the local fairgrounds instead. Watching camels, zebras, and ostriches race to the finish their line with their jockeys either riding or chasing behind was a thrilling experience, and I highly anticipate the March races involving miniature dachshunds. Safe to say I have found a recurring Saturday activity and you will find me at the track on a weekend off. Mardi Gras season has also started, and I have been doing my civic duty of trying different king cakes from bakeries across New Orleans. So far Mayhew Bakery and Dong Phuong Bakery are tied for the top spot. My birthday happens to fall in the Mardi Gras season, and I am looking forward to being able to celebrate it in the form of a parade and costumes. 

The recent COVID resurgence also had a effect on some local volunteer opportunities. The local covenant house was not taking volunteers due to to the outbreak. Hopefully as the case rate goes down, more opportunities will become available, and I am looking forward to some volunteer hours through the spring. I have heard good things about working for some other organizations around town and hope I can get a variety of volunteer experiences while here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Blog

Introduction, About Me